Facebook today announced that according its users’ ratings and engagement levels SongPop is the top rated social game of the year. Facebook made the announcement during Le Web technology conference in Paris, France, where SongPop co-founders Romain and Mathieu Nouzareth started their careers.
The music trivia game was built with the social network for Facebook, iPhone and Android. You can read our review of the game here.
Spanish developer Social Point’s social mobile game Dragon City was No. 2 and Top Free Games’ Bike Race (another social mobile title) was No. 3.
It was a big year for social mobile games in general, with only 56 percent of the games available on Facebook, while the remaining 44 percent are social mobile games available on iOS and Android.
This is also the most international year for social games to date, with the majority of games developed outside the U.S., in countries ranging from France, Spain and the U.K. to Brazil, South Korea, Australia, and Turkey.
Top Rated Social Games of 2012:
1. SongPop (FreshPlanet)
2. Dragon City (Social Point)
3. Bike Race (Top Free games)
4. Subway Surfers (Kiloo)
5. Angry Birds Friends (Rovio)
6. FarmVille 2 (Zynga)
7. Scramble with Friends (Zynga)
8. Clash of Clans (Supercell)
9. Marvel: Avengers Alliance (Playdom)
10. Draw Something (Zynga)
11. Hay Day (Supercell)
12. Baseball Heroes (Syntasia)
13. ChefVille (Zynga)
14. CSR Racing (NaturalMotion Games)
16. Matching With Friends (Zynga)
17. Legend Online (OASIS GAMES)
18. Jurassic Park Builder (Ludia)
19. Dungeon Rampage (Rebel Entertainment)
20. Pockie Ninja II Social (NGames Limited)
21. Jetpack Joyride (Halfbrick)
22. Social Empires (Social Point)
23. Bil ve Fethet (Peak Games)
24. Ruby Blast Adventures (Zynga)
Facebook explains that the list was generated using the same ranking system it uses in the App Center. It’s based on both star ratings by users, positive and negative user signals and engagement levels between the date range of Jan. 12, 2012 – Nov. 10, 2012. You can learn more about how the App Center recommendation engine ranks apps here. The list takes into account games that launched in 2012 on Facebook, as well as mobile games integrated with Facebook Connect. It only includes those games with at least 100,000 monthly active users.