Global soccer powerhouse FC Barcelona is also a Facebook powerhouse, leading sports franchises with more than 28.4 million likes.
But the football club isn’t resting on its laurels, teaming up with MicroStrategy to launch a free Facebook application called FCB Alert.
FCB Alert will allow FC Barcelona fans to:
- Access interactive features including games, fan polls, video, and other multimedia content, and share that content with other Facebook users;
- Read all of the news about the team and its affiliated organizations from around the web in one place, including content from Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, and blogs;
- Learn about events organized by FC Barcelona;
- Receive exclusive offers and promotions; and
- Purchase team merchandise and equipment via a Facebook storefront.
FC Barcelona said the FCB Alert platform can reach fans anywhere around the globe, and its content can be customized for groups or individuals based on interests, demographics, and location, using data culled from Facebook.
Didac Lee, board member of new technologies for the football club, said:
Alert is the perfect way to reach the club’s tremendous Facebook following, both locally and worldwide, with exclusive offers and exciting news.
Using the Alert platform is a big step forward on multiple fronts. Connecting to our fan base at a deeper level is what we’re here for, and MicroStrategy’s technology enables us to get that much closer to that core mission.
MicroStrategy Chief Operating Officer Sanju Bansal added:
It’s tremendously exciting to be working with FC Barcelona, which has proven to be as good at pushing the boundaries of fan interaction as they are at scoring goals and winning championships.
We look forward to working with FC Barcelona to create an exclusive and rich set of content for their 28 million strong fan base.
Readers: Would you like to see your favorite sports teams launch similar initiatives on Facebook?