The second answer given by actor Corey Feldman to our sister publication The Hollywood Reporter says it all. In just a few sentences, the 38-year-old sexual abuse survivor tells senior writer Seth Abramovitch and the reader everything they need to know about the differences between reality TV series The Two Coreys and the Hollywood reality encountered by its two stars:
“With me, there were some molestations and it did come from several hands, so to speak, but with Corey, his was direct rape, whereas mine was not actual rape. And his also occurred when he was 11. My son is 11 now and I can’t even begin to fathom the idea of something like that happening to him. It would destroy his whole being. As I look at my son, a sweet, innocent, 11-year-old boy and then try to put him in Corey Haim’s shoes, I go, “Oh my God — well of course he was erratic and not well-behaved on sets and things like that.” What more could we expect of him really?”
The recent remarks to the Sunday Times by Elijah Wood and Feldman’s interview with THR come the same week that Bill Cosby was finally and somewhat miraculously ordered to submit to a criminal trial for his dealings with Andrea Constand. She is Canadian, by coincidence, as was Haim. But the point is: horrible things happened in Hollywood to Haim, Feldman and many alleged Cosby victims. And, per an essay written for THR in late 2014 by Gavin Polone, continue to happen:
For years, I’ve heard rumors of one specific powerful person who is said to have sexually accosted and-or raped women and who has used his power and money to keep it all quiet. Many influential people have heard the same stories, and I think most actually believe them. I also remember being told by someone I knew that she was chased around a hotel room by this same individual but that he didn’t catch her. Ultimately, she laughed the whole thing off, which I found surprising.
In Feldman’s and Haim’s cases, it’s not necessarily about publicly naming names. As the Corey still lucky enough to be alive points out, the statute of limitations prevents this. But for parents of child actors and for Hollywood agents, personal managers, casting directors and the like, it’s time to redouble the vigilance. And for media outlets, the Feldman THR interview is yet another battle cry to take on the kind of reporting challenge that Polone ended his Dec. 4, 2014 piece with:
So, I’m asking that any news organization that reports on the industry, and specifically The Hollywood Reporter, which I consider the best of them, to put someone good on this story and find out if the rumors are true. And if these rumors are based in fact and crimes have been committed, to expose those crimes, without concern for how it will affect them financially. Because there is a lot more to lose here than money.
Previously on FishbowlNY:
Former Little House Star Picks Up Where Corey Feldman Left Off
Debate Over Corey Feldman Pedophilia Accusations Continues
Vice Writer Gets Into Twitter Shouting Match With Corey Feldman