Happy Anniversary Chris Matthews!
This week the syndicated weekend program, The Chris Matthews Show, marks its 10th anniversary. In celebration, they will run a Top 10 Political In-Your-Face Moments of the Past 10 years. Guests will include some regulars: Bob Woodward of WaPo, Joe Klein of TIME, Kelly O’Donnell of NBC News, and Katty Kay of BBC World News America.
See the Top 10 List…
1. Vice President Cheney’s notorious in-your-face errant shot that hit his hunting friend.
From the 2004 Presidential Campaign: 2. Senator Zell Miller telling Chris Matthews that he wished he could challenge him to a duel.
From the Iraq War, two moments of confrontation that many will recall: 3. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, asked by a soldier in Iraq about up-armoring vehicles, telling the soldier that you go to war with the army you have.
4. President George W. Bush ducking when a shoe was thrown by an Iraqi journalist.
From the 2008 campaign, two indelible showdown moments: 5. Barack Obama’s faceoff with Senator Hillary Clinton in the New Hampshire Primary in 2008, when he called her “likable enough.”
6. Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin’s interview with CBS anchor Katie Couric in 2008.
From the opposition to President Obama: 7. Congressman Joe Wilson yelling “You Lie!” during a speech to a Joint Session of Congress in 2009.
8. Glenn Beck calling President Obama a racist.
9. Presidential candidate Sen. John McCain facing off with a supporter who was decrying Barack Obama untrustworthy and an Arab; Senator McCain told the woman: “No, Ma’am, he’s a decent family man.”
After the program last weekend, viewers were invited to weigh in on the show’s website with their own nominations for this Top Ten list. The winning nomination was from Jorge Rincon of Fresno, California: 10. Stephen Colbert ripping President George W. Bush to his face at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner in April, 2006.