An internal AP memo to editorial staff from Washington Bureau Chief Sally Buzbee spells out the assignments in the D.C. bureau. Here, we let you in on the details.
See the assignments…
Now that we’ve made a few changes, I wanted to send out a big list that notes all the text coverage teams in one place, just for overall clarity. Not a lot of major changes here, just puts it all in one place.
DAVID PACE: Desk (plus other duties such as elections planning/race calls):
· Connie Cass, Eileen Putman, Bob Furlow, Robert Glass, Jay Arnold, Will Lester, Merrill Hartson, Doug Daniel, Ron Powers, Lou Kesten, Michele Salcedo, Tom Strong, editorial assistants.
MATT YANCEY: Hill
· Dave Espo _ House and Senate leadership, lede writer on Top Stories, running writer; other stories as needed including deficit reduction, health care etc.
· Chuck Babington _ leadership and big stories writer, political developments, White house interaction. Will move into campaign coverage summer or early fall.
· Andy Taylor _ Budget/spending.
· Stephen Ohlemacher _ Taxes/Entitlements.
· Alan Fram _ Investigations with Margasak. (Issa et al). Financial Services committees; financial overhaul, Fannie and Freddie.
· Larry Margasak _ Ethics; investigations with Fram.
· Laurie Kellman _ Spot features, color, scene stories; timely profiles; Inside-How Congress works; tracking tea partiers, their successes and failure.
· Donna Cassata _ National Security/defense/foreign affairs. Afghan troop withdrawals, Iran sanctions, military aid, defense spending cuts etc. will move into politics at some point in year.
· Jim Abrams _ House floor, occasionally Senate floor. Trade. Highways-infrastructure (with Joan Lowy); inner workings of Congress (pay, rules, benefits, etc.).
JIM DRINKARD: accountability/health care policy/environment
· In charge of accountability journalism
· Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar, health care policy
· Dina Cappiello, environment (including on Hill), global warming, oil spill fallout/regulations
· Jennifer Kerr, general assignment/consumer
· Cal Woodward, enterprise
· Hope Yen, census
TERRY HUNT: White House
· Ben Feller
· Jim Kuhnhenn
· Erica Werner
· Julie Pace
· Darlene Superville
· Nancy Benac
· Tom Raum
WENDY BENJAMINSON, starting next week: regional reporters and outreach to state reports/state govt reporters liaison:
· Ben Evans
· Fred Frommer
· Kim Hefling
· Sam Hananel
· Joan Lowy
· Andrew Miga
· Dennis Conrad
· CJ Jackson
· Mary Clare Jalonick
· Ken Thomas
· Matt Daly
· Kevin Freking
· Suzanne Gamboa
TED BRIDIS: investigative team and terrorism (spot and investigative):
· Richard Lardner, investigative
· Brett Blackledge, investigative
· Steve Braun, investigative
· Matt Apuzzo, investigative/terrorism
· Doug Birch, non-proliferation/arms
· Adam Goldman, terrorism
· Eileen Sullivan, terrorism
ANNE GEARAN: national security/foreign affairs
· Bob Burns, national security correspondent, Pentagon.
· Lita Baldor, Pentagon, plus cybersecurity.
· Pauline Jelinek, Pentagon.
· Kim Dozier, intelligence and military counterterrorism.
· Matt Lee, State Department.
· Brad Klapper, State Department
· Barry Schweid, foreign affairs
MIKE SNIFFEN: legal
· Mark Sherman, Supreme Court
· Jesse Holland, Supreme Court
· Alicia Caldwell, Justice
· Pete Yost, Justice
· Nedra Pickler, courts
CAROLE FELDMAN: science and health
· Randy Schmid
· Lauran Neergaard
· Liz Sidoti, politics
· Phil Elliott, GOP candidates
SONYA ROSS, race and ethnicity editor
NORTH AMERICA DESK (AMI) WASHINGTON TEAM (Reporting and editing Washington news directed at AP’s international audience, reporting to senior managing editor John Daniszewski)
Ken Guggenheim: Deputy North America Editor:
· Steve Hurst _ U.S. politics
· Desmond Butler _ US-European affairs
· Mat Pennington _ US-Asian affairs
· Harry Dunphy _ Desk editor
· Bill Mann _ Desk editor
WORLD SPANISH DESK:
· Luis Alonso _ U.S.-Latin American/Hispanic affairs