A new survey has unveiled the ten most annoying types of social media status update, with users who endlessly write and boast about exercise or weight loss ranking as the biggest irritants across Twitter and Facebook.
Moreover, the study, undertaken by fitness e-commerce site Sweatband.com, discovered that more than half (52 percent) of UK social networkers had decreased the amount of time they spend on social media sites because of irksome updates from friends and family – and 38 percent had quit at least one social site altogether.
Folks who continuously harp on about their gym regime or diets irritated 53 percent of poll respondents, which was good enough to finish well ahead of those (infuriating) people who share information about every meal.
Individuals who write “cryptic” status updates – and then tell you that they “don’t want to talk about it” when you follow up – finished third.
(You know who you are.)
The 10 Most Irritating Social Media Status Updates
1. Boasting about diet/weight loss/exercise (53 percent of respondents didn’t like this)
2. Sharing pictures of meals (45 percent)
3. Cryptic status updates (42 percent)
4. Game inviters (37 percent)
5. Proud parents (36 percent)
6. People who share very personal details (32 percent)
7. Checker-inners (32 percent)
8. Event spammers (25 percent)
9. Constant engagers (22 percent)
10. Self-promoters (19 percent)
“We all have those friends who tell us about every single calorie they burn,” said Sweatband.com’s Maz Darvish.
“Although social media has given us a great way to keep in touch with friends, family and people of interest, it’s also given us another way to bombard people with things they just don’t care about.”
Which of these status updates irritates you the most? Maybe your personal bugaboo didn’t make the list? Hit the comments to let us know.