Amazon has unveiled an ad-supported Kindle.
The deal for the Kindle would include $25 off the price of the Kindle Wifi in exchange for having to view ads in the form of screen savers. Some advertisers have already signed up, including General Motors, Procter & Gamble, and Visa. JPMorgan Chase & Co. will advertise the Amazon.com Reward Visa Card.
The press release mentions other offers, including:
- $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
- $6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
- $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
- $10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
- Free $100 Amazon.com Gift Card when you get an Amazon Rewards Visa Card (normally $30)
- Buy one of 30 Kindle bestsellers with your Visa card and get $10 Amazon.com credit
- 50% off Roku Streaming Player (normally $99)
The Kindle w\Special Offers is up for pre-order now, and it will ship on 3May.
So the ads won’t be inserted into the eBooks, but will only be shown when you wake up and put the Kindle to sleep. Clever. Of course, we still need to keep something in mind. If you’re not the customer, you’re the product.