The 2016 Tour de France was the topic of more than 3.7 million tweets during the course of the race, July 2 through 24, seen on Twitter some 4.1 billion times.
- Eventual winner Chris Froome starts running while his bicycle is being fixed after a crash with a motorcycle during stage 12.
- The Tour de France committee announces that Froome retains the yellow jersey (worn by the race’s overall leader) at the end of stage 12.
- Jarlinson Pantano wins stage 15.
- Romain Bardet wins stage 19.
- Mark Cavendish wins stage 1.
The five most-tweeted-about riders were:
- Nairo Quintana
- Peter Sagan
And the five most-tweeted-about teams were:
- Team Sky
- Team Movistar
- Team Dimension Data
- Team Tinkoff
- Team Etixx QuickStep
Collin also shared some of the most retweeted tweets during 2016 Tour de France (below).
Cycling fans: Did you use Twitter to help follow this year’s race?
— Chris Froome (@chrisfroome) July 24, 2016
— Mark Cavendish (@MarkCavendish) July 3, 2016