If you haven’t heard the news yet—yesterday, Netflix updated their pricing system, raising the price of a combined streaming and DVD-by-mail plan by a whopping 60 percent. Netflix users are none too pleased and are lashing out on Twitter via the trending topic ‘Dear Netflix’.
We’ve compiled ten of the most disgruntled Tweets about Netflix this morning, but before we get to the Tweets, lets take a look at why the company has introduced these new plans and price changes. On the Netflix blog, Jessie Becker, VP of Marketing at Netflix, explains the changes:
“Last November when we launched our $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, DVDs by mail was treated at a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan. At the time, we didn’t anticipate offering DVD only plans. Since then we have realized that there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs both from our existing members as well as non-members. Giving the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs.”
But Netflix users don’t seem to care about the reasoning behind the price hike. All they see is the fact that they used to pay less for more, and that if they want to keep using Netflix as they have been, they’ll be forced to pay 60 percent more each month. And if the backlash on Twitter and beyond has anything to say about it, Netflix stands to lose quite a few customers over this whole ordeal.
Check out the ten disgruntled tweets about the Netflix price hike, and then let us know what you think about the new pricing plans in the comments below. Are you thinking about leaving Netflix or are you willing to pay more for the service?
1. Many Netflix users are complaining that the Netflix streaming service is just not up-to-par. They’d like to switch to streaming-only, but there are so many great movies available through their DVD-by-mail service that haven’t made it to their streaming service yet.
3. Geek Furious may be furious about the price hike, but doesn’t complain outright. Instead, he settles on letting Netflix know the extent of their error. Months ago, Netflix reigned supreme…now they may be their own demise.
4. Ross is calling it quits…Take that, Netflix! Click here to see the picture Ross linked to.
5. Olivia isn’t calling it quits, but you do owe her 75 packages of Almond Joys, Netflix!
6. Paul Scheer is spreading vicious rumors…
7. With Netflix out of the picture, what will you be doing in your spare time? A game of charades, perhaps?
8. A lot of Netflix subscribers are feeling used as a result of the price hike, but not this guy. He’s using Netflix for their free trial, and then he’s hitting the bricks!
9. David calls it like it is. A combo meal does usually save people money…so what gives, Netflix?
10. And last but not least…this is exactly how a huge number of Netflix users are feeling today. So sad.
Megan O’Neill is the resident web video enthusiast here at Social Times. Megan covers everything from the latest viral videos to online video news and tips, and has a passion for bizarre, original and revolutionary content and ideas.