Google Creative Lab, Wieden + Kennedy, and R/GA each won a Cyber Grand Prix at the 2011 Cannes Lions on Wednesday—for an Arcade Fire video, the Old Spice response campaign on YouTube, and the "Pay With a Tweet" social-media currency system, respectively.
The Arcade Fire video, called "The Wilderness Downtown," was a collaboration among Chris Milk, Aaron Koblin, Google Creative Lab, B-Reel and @radical.media. The interactive music video, for the Arcade Fire song "We Used to Wait," had you enter your hometown address, which it then used to construct a personalized video splicing together windows of film with shots of your home. The video shows off a few Google products, including its browser and satellite mapping.
Wieden's Old Spice response campaign featured Isaiah Mustafa, aka "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like," shooting personalized videos in which he thanked individual people—bloggers, YouTube commenters, Twitterers, celebrities—who had complimented his ads online. He did almost 200 videos in total, including a response to a review on Adweek's AdFreak blog (below).
R/GA's "Pay With a Tweet" idea was based on the concept that you could purchase a product in exchange for tweeting or Facebooking about that product to your social-network friends and followers. Says the site: "In today's world the value of people talking about your product is sometimes higher than the money you would get for it. 'Pay with a Tweet' is the first social payment system, where people pay with the value of their social network."
After the jump, a full list of Gold Lion winners in Cyber:
The other Gold Lion winners in Cyber:
• SapientNitro London for Foot Locker
• Dentsu Tokyo for Uniqlo
• Google Mountain View for Google Geo
• Forsman & Bodenfors Gothenburg for Ikea
• Kempertrautmann Hamburg for Edding International
• BBH New York for Google Chrome
• Saatchi & Saatchi L.A. for Toyota
• Drill Tokyo for NTT Docomo
• Publicis Conseil Paris for Renault
• Alexx Henry Los Angeles for Viv Mag
• AKQA London for Heineken
• Jung von Matt Stockholm for Mini
• Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam for Nike
• BBDO Toronto for Wrigley
• Deutsch L.A. for Volkswagen
• Lowe Strateus Paris for DSCR Road Safety
• Toaster London for Youtube