Venables Bell & Partners took home the coveted Best of Show award at The One Show in New York on Friday night for REI's #OptOutside, a cross-platform campaign in which the outdoor retailer closed on Black Friday and urged employees and customers alike to get outside and enjoy nature on a day best known for rampant consumerism.
"This is an amazing honor," said Will McGinness, executive creative director at the San Francisco agency. "This wouldn't have been possible without our incredibly brave clients who were willing to take their beliefs as a company and act on them in such a bold way. #OptOutside was an idea that came from the core of who they are as a company and ended up transcending marketing into an actual movement. Which is something you rarely see."
Mediavest | Spark, Tool of North America, North Kingdom and Edelman also worked on the REI campaign.
Ellie Kemper, star of the Netflix comedy Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, hosted the 43rd Annual One Show Awards at Cipriani Wall Street on Friday night, which honored the year's best film, interactive, cross-platform, IP, mobile, social, UX/UI and radio work. The One Show also hosted a separate gala on Wednesday night at Gotham Hall, hosted by Michael Ian Black, at which the print and outdoor, design, direct, branded entertainment, responsive environments and PR winners were announced.
A total of 556 One Show Pencils were awarded across the two shows. Here are the best-in-discipline winners from The One Show's 14 categories:
• Film: "Shoplifters" for Harvey Nichols by adam&eveDDB/London + Blink/London + Zenith Optimedia/London + The Mill/London
• Interactive: "Call Brussels" for visit.brussels by Air/Brussels + Lovo Films/Brussels + Globule Bleu/Brussels +White/Brussels
• Cross-Platform: "#OptOutside" for REI by Venables Bell & Partners/San Francisco + Tool of North America/Santa Monica + North Kingdom/Los Angeles + Edelman/San Francisco
• Intellectual Property: "Funtastic Hand" for Cirec Foundation by Publicis Colombia/Bogotá + Cirec Foundation/Bogotá
• Social: "Taco Emoji Engine" for Taco Bell by Deutsch/Los Angeles
• Mobile: "The world addressed" for what3words by what3words/London
• UX/UI: "Make Up Genius" for L'Oréal Paris by McCann/Paris + Image Metrics/Las Vegas + My Studio Factory/Paris
• Radio: "Learning on the way" for ADN by Sancho BBDO/Bogota
• Print & Outdoor: "Survival Billboard" for Microsoft by McCann/m:united/London
• Design: "Nameless Paints" for Kokuyo by Dentsu/Tokyo
• Direct: "The Interactive Form" for Canal+ by BETC + BETC/Digital/Paris
• Branded Entertainment: "#NOTCOMINGSOON" for Remy Cointreau/Louis XIII by FF/New York + Moonwalk/New York
• Responsive Environments: "The Last Shot" for Jordan Brand by AKQA/San Francisco + LOS YORK/Los Angeles
• Public Relations: "Inspiring Spirit" for Scoot by Saatchi & Saatchi/Singapore + Sweeney Vesty/Singapore + Publicis/Singapore
The Martin Agency was named Agency of the Year, and Geico was named Client of the Year. Together, they also picked up the inaugural Penta Pencil, given to an agency-brand team that has created stellar work for five continuous years. Wieden + Kennedy also won a Penta Pencil for its work with Procter & Gamble's Old Spice.
BBDO won Network of the Year for the second year in a row, with eight of its offices winning Gold Pencils, including Best in Radio (Sancho BBDO in Bogotá) and the first Gold Pencil win from Russia (BBDO Russia Group).
WPP was named Creative Holding Company of the Year.