TBS to Pay $2 Mil. for Bomb Scare

NEW YORK Turner Broadcasting System will pay up to $2 million to Boston-area authorities to settle claims following Wednesday’s bomb scare in the Hub.

The money includes $1 million to Boston and neighboring cities Somerville and Cambridge to pay for the costs of responding to the incidents. Turner will pay another $1 million to the cities and the state for homeland-security awareness.

This will settle all civil and criminal liability for Turner and its guerilla-marketing agency, New York-based Interference.

A criminal case so far remains against two Boston-area men—27-year-old Peter Berdovsky and 28-year-old Sean Stevens —who are charged with a felony count of placing a hoax device and a misdemeanor disorderly conduct count. Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley said last week that a resolution to the criminal charges could occur soon.

Monday’s settlement closes the book on a marketing campaign for the Cartoon Network-Adult Swim animated series Aqua Teen Hunger Force that was mistaken Wednesday for a plot to bomb bridges, roads and other infrastructure in Boston, Somerville and Cambridge. The same marketing campaign was placed in nine other cities from Los Angeles to New York to Austin, Texas, without incident.

In a statement Monday, Turner and Interference took full responsibility and apologized for the marketing tactic and the trouble it caused.

Turner said it was reviewing its local-marketing policies “to ensure they are not disruptive or perceived as threatening, and are committed to making any necessary changes to our internal processes to prevent similar incidents in the future.”