RDW Group Works Out With Cybex

Fitness equipment maker Cybex International has assigned its estimated $3 million ad account to RDW Group in Providence, R.I., after a review of undisclosed shops.
The business had been handled for the past two years by The Integer Group in Lakewood, Colo.
Part of RDW’s appeal was its proximity to the Medway, Mass., client, said Cybex’s senior director of marketing Richard O’Reagan. “We wanted someone located within a reasonable drive of our headquarters,” O’Reagan said, adding that RDW also had the best mix of capabilities.
The agency next year will create both trade and consumer print campaigns, O’Reagan said. Collateral materials and public relations duties are also part of the assignment.
RDW senior account executive Will Andersen will supervise the business, while senior copywriter Rob Borges and art director Glenn Britlend will handle the creative side.
Cybex presently has no positioning line, something the agency plans to remedy, said senior vice president of marketing Josh Fenton.
RDW executives also plan to add Cybex equipment to their new headquarters, currently under construction. “[Client officials] appreciate that,” Fenton noted. “They want us to understand their product.”
In the past year, Cybex has merged with fellow fitness manufacturers Tetrix, which makes stationary bicycles and stair climbers, and Trotter, a maker of treadmills and hiking machines.
Commercial markets–including gyms, universities and hotels– account for nearly 80 percent of the company’s sales. The remaining 20 percent is generated from affluent consumers willing to spend upward of $3,000 for a treadmill or $1,700 for a stationary bike.