LAS VEGAS The Nielsen Co. has launched the CLIO Healthcare Awards to honor creative excellence and innovation in healthcare-industry communications, the company said today.
The new awards will be handed out in New York at a ceremony in October. They are being launched in conjunction with the 50th anniversary CLIO Awards being held this week in Las Vegas. The CLIO Awards rank among the world’s most recognized awards competitions for advertising, design and interactive.
“Healthcare accounts for more than one-third of our nation’s gross national product and has become one of the most visible sectors of advertising, promotion and creative design in the last few years, particularly on TV and online” said Karl Vontz, director of events at Nielsen’s marketing, media and visual arts group, in a statement. “We felt it was the right time to create a separate CLIO Awards to acknowledge and account for the fact that healthcare advertising and communications has become critical to the health and well-being of the nation and is regulated differently and more stringently than traditional advertising and promotion.”
He added: The CLIO Healthcare Awards will be executed using the same rigorous standards and commitment to excellence, but levels the playing field to qualify and judge this particular and massive industry sector more fairly and appropriately.”
The CLIO Healthcare Awards will be judged by leading healthcare advertising, marketing, design and communications execs.
Members of the inaugural advisory board are:
• Rob Buccino, president, Neocortex, New York
• Martha Crane, evp and ecd, Saatchi & Saatchi Healthcare, New York
• Fabio Gratton, chief innovation officer, Ignite Health, Irvine, Calif.
• Forrest King, managing partner and cd, Juice Pharma Advertising, New York
• Patricia Malone, principal and cd, Strategem Healthcare, San Francisco
• Stephen Neale, svp and ecd, Abelson Taylor, Chicago
• Jane Pritchard, cd, Anderson DDB, Toronto
• Rob Rogers, co-CEO, Americas, Sudler & Hennessey, New York
• Bruce Rooke, CCO, GSW Worldwide, Westerville, Ohio
• Greg Sampson, principal, creative services, Sampson & Co., Ville Grande, Calif.
• Michael Schreiber, managing partner and cd, AgencyRx, New York
• Jim Weiss, chairman and CEO, WeissComm Group, San Francisco
Adweek is a unit of the Nielsen Co.