Preview Travel launched its first branded credit card in partnership with mammoth credit card issuer First USA. The card offers Preview members reward points for purchases as well as the ability to track their accounts online. Members can get approved online as of today.
“It’s definitely a card for the online age,” said Christine Petersen, vice president, direct and database marketing for the San Francisco-based travel hub. She characterized the agreement with Wilmington, Del.-based First USA as a multi-year, multimillion dollar deal.
The card will be promoted throughout the site, such as when users make reservations or establish new accounts. Offline, the card will be promoted on ticket jackets. First USA, meanwhile, will promote Preview via credit card statement inserts.
“The nice thing about the terms of this deal,” Petersen said, “is, in return for promoting the card, we are also promoting Preview to all First USA card holders. It’s a great opportunity for us to cross-sell.”
Preview said early last week it would merge with Fort Worth, Texas-based Sabre Holdings’ Travelocity, with the new company being known as Travelocity.com. Sabre will retain 70 percent ownership of the new company with the remaining 30 percent owned by Preview stockholders. Preview cards will be issued until the merger is completed , circa first quarter 2000. Preview says it expects First USA cards to be offered under the Travelocity.com name, although final integration issues are pending regulatory and shareholder approval. Preview Travel-branded cards would still be valid.
Get Adweek's Brand Marketing Daily Newsletter in your Inbox
Today's highs and lows of creativity