CANNES, France—Grey is having a Cannes festival to remember, as its London office topped the Design Lions contest here tonight for Volvo's LifePaint (its second Grand Prix of the festival) and Grey New York's "Gun Store" gun-control campaign added another gold to its already impressive haul.
Also, David in Miami added a gold in Design for "Proud Whopper"—remarkably, its the 12th Lion of the festival won by WPP agency's campaign.
LifePaint, Volvo's transparent bike spray that protects cyclists at night by lighting up in the glare of headlights, already won a Grand Prix in Promo & Activation earlier in the week. By also winning the top Design prize, it is now the first campaign this week to win multiple Grand Prix awards. (Multiple Grand Prix wins have become commonplace in recent years, with adam&eveDDB, McCann Melbourne and Pereira & O'Dell all achieving the feat during the past three festivals.)
You can read more about LifePaint in our story on the Promo winners.
Meanwhile, Grey New York's "Gun Store" campaign, while not having won a Grand Prix, keeps on reeling in Lions—winning another one in Design to go with Lions it also won in the Direct and Outdoor categories.
David's "Proud Whopper," a product introduced for last year's San Francisco Pride parade, has been even more successful here. In addition to its gold Lion in Design, it has also won a gold and two silvers in Promo, a gold and a silver in PR, two silvers and a bronze in Direct, and bronzed in Cyber, Media and Outdoor.
AKQA was the other gold winner in Design, winning for Jordan Brand's "The Last Shot."
See all the U.S. Design Lions winners below.
—U.S. Design Winners
• Grey New York for States United to Prevent Gun Violence's "The Gun Shop" (gold, silver)
• AKQA San Francisco for Jordan Brand's "The Last Shot" (gold, silver)
• David Miami for Burger King's "Proud Whopper" (gold)
• The Bull-White House New York for Stupid Cancer's "The Cancer Sutra" (silver)
• BBDO New York for Foot Locker's Shoemojis (silver)
• Red Peak New York for the Intel Clear font (silver)
• Airbnb San Francisco / Boora Architects Portland for Airbnb's Portland Call Center (silver)
• TBWA\Media Arts Lab Los Angeles and Apple Cupertino for Apple's "World Gallery" (two bronzes)
• Mill+ New York for Netflix and Weinstein Group's Marco Polo title sequence (bronze)
• The Barbarian Group New York for Samsung Electronics Centerstage (bronze)
• Lapiz Chicago for the Mexico Tourism Board "Snow Graffiti" (bronze)
• Work & Co Brooklyn for Virgin America website redesign (bronze)