CANNES, France—CAA Marketing and Chipotle, which teamed up to win two Grand Prix in 2012, added a third here tonight, winning the top prize in the PR Lions contest for "The Scarecrow," its latest integrated attack on the evils of industrial food production.
The work, done in collaboration with PR agency Edelman in New York, featured a gorgeous three-minute video from the Oscar-winning animators at Moonbot Studios—a cautionary tale set at Crow Foods, which is staffed by scarecrows who've lost their jobs at the farm and are forced into supporting the unsustainable processed-food system. It was set to a haunting, hypnotic Fiona Apple cover of the song "Pure Imagination" from 1971's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
But the campaign went well beyond the video. It also included a free, arcade-style adventure game for the iPhone and iPad. (If you got at least three stars out of five in each of the game's worlds, you got a coupon for free food at Chipotle.) And Apple's song was available on iTunes, with 60 cents per download benefiting the Chipotle Cultivate Foundation. (The campaign is surely a favorite in this year's Branded Content category, and Film as well.)
"The Scarecrow" also won two golds along with its Grand Prix.
U.S. agencies did well in the PR Lions contest, picking up four golds, six silvers and seven bronzes. The other golds went to Droga5 for Honey Maid and Grey for TNT.
Here is the full list of U.S. winners:
• Creative Artists Agency Los Angeles – The Scarecrow – Chipotle Mexican Grill – PR Agency: Edelman New York – Grand Prix, 2 gold Lions
• Droga5 New York – This Is Wholesome – Honey Maid – PR Agency: Weber Shandwick Chicago – gold Lion
• Grey New York – Dallas Gas Station – TNT – gold Lion, silver Lion
• Deutsch Los Angeles – 2014 Taco Bell Breakfast Launch (Ronald McDonald Launch) – Taco Bell – 2 silver Lions, bronze Lion
• Droga5 New York – If We Made It – Heineken – PR Agency: Fast Horse Minneapolis – silver Lion
• Grey New York – Football on Your Phone – DirecTV – silver Lion
• Droga5 New York – Love – Honey Maid – PR Agency: Weber Shandwick Chicago – silver Lion
• Ogilvy New York/Text 100 New York – Ungrounded: An Innovation Lab in the Sky – British Airways – bronze Lion
• 360i New York – #Mamming – bronze Lion
• Ketchum Sports & Entertainment New York – Rumble On The Rails – Committee for the Preservation of Olympic Wrestling (CPOW); International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA); USA Wrestling – PR Agency: Ketchum Sports & Entertainment New York – bronze Lion
• Saatchi & Saatchi New York – Trust Your Power – Procter & Gamble – PR Agency: Citizen PR New York – bronze Lion
• Pereira & O'Dell San Francisco – Solving #Sochiproblems – Airbnb – bronze Lion
• Mattel Inc. El Segundo, Calif. – #Unapologetic – PR Agency: Ketchum Los Angeles, Hl Group New York – bronze Lion