BBDO Pulls Out of DuPont Review

NEW YORK BBDO said it has withdrawn from the DuPont review, which sources estimate at $70 million in media spending.

The New York shop last week won the AOL Broadband account and is competing for the AOL brand assignment against Wieden + Kennedy in Portland, Ore. Total media spending on both pieces of business are estimated at $150 million.

A BBDO representative said the agency, which will continue to handle DuPont’s Stainmaster brand, needs to focus on existing client business.

The Wilmington, Del., company sent out information requests last month, asking agencies – among other things – to detail their processes for criminal background checks and disaster-recovery programs [Adweek, Feb. 28]. The review, which the company has described as “part of its regular supplier review process,” is believed to be financially motivated. Some 22 agencies responded to the RFI.

The client then selected nine agencies to which it sent RFPs last week. They are McCann-Erickson, New York, a DuPont roster shop, Doner, Southfield, Mich., as well as New York shops Foote, Cone & Belding; Ogilvy & Mather; Saatchi & Saatchi, and Young & Rubicam; DDB Chicago and Fallon, Minneapolis.

Sources said the RFPs are due back by the end of this month.

A client representative could not immediately be reached.