It’s not just GEICO…or Richmond.
The Martin Agency has gradually been building its Manhattan-based operations over the past few years, and the agency tells us that 2016 should be the office’s biggest yet.
Back in June, Martin hired twofifteenmccann co-CCO James Robinson as its first New York-based ECD, and in recent weeks the creative team continued its expansion with several new hires.
Those include (pictured above):
- Copywriter Daniel Aguinaga, former freelancer with DDB, Mekanism and Cramer Krasselt as well as Y&R and Geometry Global
- Senior copywriter Jamie Umpherson and senior art director Marie Richer, both of whom previously worked at Toronto’s john st. and Rethink
- Art director George Widodo, former intern at Mother New York, Mullen and David&Goliath
- ACD Heather Schmitz, formerly senior copywriter at EnergyBBDO Chicago and Sid Lee
- ACD Marysia Makowska, who freelanced at Sid Lee, BBH, Publicis and Michael Kors
The real story here, if you see it as such, is the establishment of New York as a crucial part of the Martin network. Quite a few agencies’ Manhattan outposts have proven short-lived in recent years, but the slow-and-steady approach seems to be working for Martin.
Martin New York collaborates with the agency’s Richmond and London offices on various accounts while also running the Optimum and Sunglass Hut business.
Creative is currently its largest department, and we expect more hiring news to come over the next few months.