With the opening series between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks (finally) kicking off the MLB season this Saturday in Australia, Hub Strategy, AOR for the Oakland Athletics, have just launched the fifth incarnation of their award-winning “Green Collar Baseball” marketing campaign for the A’s.
There’s been reason to celebrate in Oakland the past two years, as the A’s have won back-to-back AL West titles. This year, for their integrated campaign featuring “eight television commercials as well as print, outdoor, digital & social advertisements,” Hub Strategy wanted to up the personality factor. There’s certainly no shortage of personality for the A’s, and Hub had a blast working with the players on the new campaign, with Hub CEO/Creative Director DJ O’Neil calling it “by far my favorite work yet.”
The feeling is mutual, as A’s VP of sales/marketing, Jim Leahey, says, “We feel that this year’s TV commercials may be our best ever and we are confident that our fans will enjoy connecting with the fun personalities of our players.”
So far, two of the eight TV spots have been revealed: “Tunnels of Greatness” and “Tarp Therapy.” “Tunnels of Greatness” — featuring Josh Donaldson, Jarrod Parker, Sonny Gray, Sean Doolittle and Derek Norris — is a lot of fun, built around the idea of extending the “Home Run Tunnel” celebration to other, more mundane aspects of the game. “Tarp Therapy,” which references Donaldson’s spectacular tarp catch from last season, isn’t quite as effective. It’s the kind of concept that might look funny on paper, but doesn’t play out so well on tape (although they deserve bonus points for featuring Mike Gallego). Hopefully the rest of Hub Strategy’s “Green Collar Baseball” spots can build on the momentum of “Home Run Tunnel” and give fans one more reason to cheer on the A’s. Here’s the info we have on the remaining six spots:
- Secrets of the Game: Young players Parker, Gray and Norris turn to veteran Brandon Moss for his secrets to success in the majors.
- Unicorn 2.0: Doolittle and Parker attempt to take the signature unicorn bullpen backpack to another level this year.
- Generations: Moss learns that for some fans, being on the field for a fireworks show can fulfill a lifelong dream.
- #winning: Doolittle coaches Bob Melvin, Curt Young and Mike Gallego on social media best practices.
- Holding Him On: Moss is a talkative guy, and his mouth can be as much of a weapon as his bat.
- Pre-Internet: Coaches Young and Gallego both reflect on how much has changed since their 1989 World Championship with the A’s.
You can watch “Home Run Tunnel” above, and stick around for “Tarp Therapy,” along with credits, after the jump
Client: The Oakland Athletics
Ad Agency: Hub Strategy
Director: DJ O’Neil
Creative Director: DJ O’Neil
Associate Creative Director: Jason Rothman
Art Director: Jason Rothman
Copywriters: Hugh Gurin, Chris Elzinga, Sam Pond, Jeff Feng, Patty Jordan
Account Director: Angelina Dilg
Agency Producer: Angelina Dilg
Account Manager: Caitlin Lutsch
Production Company: Hub Strategy
Director of Photography: Jason Mitchell
Editorial/Motion Graphics: Pete Fleming
Colorist: Baco Bryles
Music/Sound Design: TJ Murphy, James Boblak