Which Olympics ads have the best music?
Media saturation for the Olympics is complete now that we have Paste magazine's picks for the 10 Best Songs in Commercials During the Olympics. The list is mostly a who's-who of fading indie credibility. I've always preferred Gabriel Ananda over Enur, who makes the cut for a Target spot set in the kind of giant dorm room only seen on TV. As for the Killers, that “I've got soul but I'm not a soldier” line isn't as clever as they (or Nike) think it is. (The same could be said for their entire discography, pretty much.) Brandi Carlile get props for donating a song to General Motors for green causes, but her sound got old when everyone else in her genre was doing it. I agree with this list's No. 1 choice, though—featured in the ad posted above. It's impossible to knock Marvin Gaye, and Nike's talents for exploitation are well documented.
—Posted by David Kiefaber
- Yankees, Manchester City Team Up for MLS Launch
- ESPN's Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Time.com Is On a Hiring Spree
- Pinterest Plays Coy on Ads, but Expect Commerce to Lead
- Digital Dignitaries Debate Display's Death
- Mayer Talks Tumblr Plans, Unveils New Flickr
- Spotify Launches Music Charts
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- Nutella Thanks Its Biggest Fan, Founder of World Nutella Day, by Sending Her a Cease-and-Desist
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
- Pinterest Adds Advertiser-Friendly Features
- Jann Wenner Discusses Putting His Son in Charge
- Ad of the Day: Coca-Cola
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.