Vooray's Ludicrous Lake-Jumping Video Is Neck-Breakingly Awesome Who's up for a ride?
We've seen giant waterslides on YouTube before, and have come to expect footage from them to be extensively doctored. But this clip, filmed last Saturday in Paradise, Utah, and released this week by youth apparel brand Vooray, appears to be the real deal—and is pretty badass. Director Devin Graham and Vooray first built an enormous slide down a hillside next to a lake. Then they hooked up an inflatable raft to a bungee cord pulled by an ATV. Finally, they whipped the raft down the slide, over and over, catapult-style, at high speeds, sending its riders up a ramp and careening out over the lake. Graham admits the stunts were dangerous—he claims several people were knocked out when they hit the water—but that he took every precaution. He writes on his blog: "They originally used a bungie to sling people out, but a week before we filmed, when they were testing it, it snapped . . . and whiplashed a couple people. So, to make sure it was safe, they bought a $250 bungie online to make sure no one got hurt when we filmed." (In other words, if it's fake, they're building a pretty elaborate lie around it.) Everyone wore helmets and life jackets. Graham didn't jump himself. He explains: "I'm not that brave, or stupid, depending on how you look at it." The video is certainly prompting all sorts of envy on YouTube. Writes one bitter, long-in-the-tooth commenter: "If you're young and you ain't doin this kinda shit, you're wasting your time and you're gonna regret the fuck out of it when you're older."
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- BBC's Experimental 'Perceptive Radio' Will Personalize Content
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Y&R Asks You to Define What #AdvertisingIs
- Twitter's TV Ad Targeting Uses 'Video Fingerprinting'
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.