Volkswagen Races Against Some of the World's Fastest People Beatboxer, speed talker, guitarist, Rubik's Cuber
I've long suspected that driving people around a track so fast and with such ferocity that it makes them scared and nauseous would be a good way to stop them from accomplishing tasks that require concentration and/or fine motor skills. Deutsch LA proves me right in these "Fast vs. Fast" videos, which pit Volkswagen's GTI, Golf R and Jetta GLI models against a quartet of YouTube stars known for doing stuff extremely quickly. In each spot, a speedster gets buckled in for an intense, gut-churning one-lap ride with pro driver Eric Norris. (He's Chuck's son, though I'm sure his family connections have nothing to do with his getting to drive fast cars and play the "celeb" role in commercials instead of being, oh I don't know, a blogger.) Each passenger fails to perform his or her specialty before the lap is completed. The world's fastest female speed talker (her folks must be proud) gets too shaken up to recite the entire Gettysburg Address. Guitarist John Taylor attempts to play "Flight of the Bumblebee," but, according to VW, "he got so sick after the first few takes around the raceway that we had to re-order the shots to give him a break." Bottom line: You may wish the airbags were barf bags, but these VWs are still way cooler than the Chevy Volt. More spots after the jump.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Nikola Tesla Takes Down Silicon Valley VCs, but Will It Get Him a Statue?
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.