Villains Step Up in Kellogg's Crunchy Nut's Superhero Campaign Meet the Boring Breakfast Brotherhood
You've already seen Kellogg's Crunchy Nut cereal personified as a '60s-style, yellow-spandex-clad superhero fighting to restore flavor to breakfast. Now, in a new video created in collaboration with Funny or Die, meet the villains. Like the rest of the campaign, "The Boring Breakfast Brotherhood" plays on comic-book tropes—in this case, the evil conference-room congregation—only, more bumbling. Cue ringleader "Dry Toast," who knacks of Dick Tracy's Big Boy Caprice, and "Greasy Steak," a rebel reminiscent of a pre-Joker Jack Napier. In what's perhaps the spot's most amusing bit of writing, "Oatmeal" appears incapable of saying anything but his own name. (We like oatmeal, but this seems like an appropriate interpretation of how it would be, if it were a person.) The PR agency, Edelman, says its own Kellogg's-dedicated unit Krispr and its branded entertainment arm Matter led this execution, rather than Leo Burnett, which did the TV campaign. What do you think: Is it a sweet bit of branded entertainment, or does the deliberately overcooked style fall short of delicious?
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- Does the American Shopping Mall Have a Second Life?
- Lucky Charms Does Giant Bong Hit, Unleashes Auto-Tune Leprechaun
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Layoffs Hit BBDO, Goodby
- Creak, Crack, Crunch. Local Chiropractor's Goofy Ad Is Painful to Watch
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.