TNT Brings Drama to Belgium With Crazy Town-Square Stunt Push the button, and all hell breaks loose
Here's another marketing stunt for the "Could never happen in America" file. To promote its launch in Belgium, the Turner-owned TNT network placed a big red button "on an average Flemish square of an average Flemish town," and goaded people to push it. When they did, the square suddenly erupted in chaos, as actors appeared out of nowhere and flung themselves into scenes ripped from medical and legal dramas (and melodramas). A guy on a stretcher falls out of an ambulance. A car chase culminates in a huge gun battle. In the U.S., of course, some confused bystander would have pulled out his own gun and blown away a good portion of the talent. At the end, a giant banner is unfurled on a building side that reads: "Your daily dose of drama. TNT," along with the network's tagline, "We know drama." And to think, in Boston, those silly magnetic lights from Adult Swim were all it took to call in the bomb squad. The whole police force would have responded to something like this. The agency for the TNT stunt, of course, was Duval Guillaume—the undisputed master of guerrilla agency tricks in Europe.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- BBC's Experimental 'Perceptive Radio' Will Personalize Content
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- The 10 Best Commercials of 2012
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Cadillac Nears Decision in Creative Review
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.