Smart Car Shows Why You Don't Crowdsource Short Stories on Facebook Fan comments quickly go awry
We recently wrote about how quirky automaker Smart USA has clever Facebook ideas that are often too clever to actually work on Facebook. This week is no exception. On Monday, the brand posted a photo of a Smart car parked in Kinsley, Kan., halfway between New York and San Francisco, and asked fans to create a story about the vehicle "one word at a time in the comments below." The result? The illegible ramblings of a 178-headed madman. Fans were partly to blame for not following directions, but the idea is also hampered by Facebook's delayed comment updates, meaning fans often couldn't see the words posted prior to theirs. Still, like any Mad Lib, it created some real gems, such as "Free kangaroo roadtrip, nice and small." At AdFreak, we've done our best to compile this nonsense into a sort of William Borroughs/James Joyce-esque narrative. Check out the whole "confusing story kickin' ovaries" after the jump.
"Hambach today, while once eco-friendly, I going meander. Lovely was cruising half-way, passing along. I want one happy. Which decisions? Larry Turner happy. Semi! Go South, it's friendlier, efficiently comfortable Toto. Comfortably unique. WFERE? Cheap, awesome — either way it only took one tank of gas, right? LOL TRAILLER!!!!! Failed buggy, go to the store and this bazinga! Free kangaroo roadtrip, nice and small. It's like herding cats. Gas, cool, rolling…New York baby! Once petite, journey Germany. Is future trips out Reno ass? Cool. Now wild little party, midway sassy. WT*B!*! Fun day, Vegas. Revved little green service. Me cute, torn. Just married, wow, fail. The end. Smart Mighty Mouse sweet!!!! Lost distance, petite clownish. OMG! Rockin' little-bit sunflowers. Confusing story kickin' ovaries! Where? Nuts. Decisions? Waffle. On trip, vroom sightseeing gave best such inexcusable travel toy. Bright Chicago, please do coast. Spike! Only me ecanta, cute California. Decisions? Smile. Really? Stupid look on your face when speedy in a state of confusion, halfway into freeway, crusin' a lot until PushMePullYou green gas friendly. Amazing sweet toy, fun middle. It pitstop cool. Explore around dangerous awesome. Ride a bike."
- Buzzfeed's Michael Hastings Dead at 33
- iCrossing Hires Moxie And Razorfish Vets
- FCC Chairman Nominee Says Broadband Is Top Priority
- Viacom Finishes Major Upfront Biz
- Condé Nast Swaps Lucky Editor
- YouTube's Wigs Headed to Hulu
- Agency.com Co-founder Joins Prophet
- FCC Nominee Chair Plays Up His Business Experience
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Maxipad Brand Goes for Blood in Brilliant Reply to Facebook Rant
- Ogilvy Adds Two More Grand Prix—in Outdoor and Media
- DM9 Jayme Syfu Wins Mobile Grand Prix for Turning Cellphones Into Textbooks
- Barbarian Group Wins Inaugural Innovation Lions Grand Prix for Its Cinder Coding Platform
- Pretty Much Everyone Is Doing Native Ads Now
- Gay Advertising’s Long March Out of the Closet
- Kraft Salad Dressing Ad Gets Best Present Ever: A Slap From One Million Moms
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.