Ray-Ban preparing to annoy NYC drivers
"Ray-Ban Stops Traffic in New York City!" screams the headline in an e-mail sent my way by the iconic sunglasses company. Well, really, what doesn’t? Every time a falafel cart jumps the curb, it’s snarled for blocks. The missive goes on: “A public stunt will be held in New York City in the first week of July that will literally stop traffic—and draw attention to one of the five unique billboards that will be unveiled. The stunt is top secret but will draw widespread attention from New York’s television and print media.” Don’t New Yorkers have enough misery in July with the humidity and tourists from Spokane? It’s all part of a promotional push in which five NYC artists fashion billboards “inspired by Ran Ban’s new colored Wayfarers.” (The black-and-white ones, of course, were made popular by Joel Goodsen.) They should let the traffic flow and stick giant shades on that giant wheel of cheese Beemster plopped on the Grand Central Station platform last year. Did they ever haul that wedge away? It’s way past it’s sell-by date.
—Posted by David Gianatasio
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Lucky Charms Does Giant Bong Hit, Unleashes Auto-Tune Leprechaun
- Does the American Shopping Mall Have a Second Life?
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Creak, Crack, Crunch. Local Chiropractor's Goofy Ad Is Painful to Watch
- Fitness Company's Video Goes Viral Thanks to Dude Taking a Dump in the Background
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.