People who wish they could start 2008 over
Collateral Damage's Constantine Von Hoffman has compiled a roundup of the top marketing blunders of 2008, and notes, "It was a very good year for very bad things." It's only fitting that the year's two biggest stories—the presidential election and the global economic crisis—inform his tie for the top pick: John McCain's presidential campaign and the travails of General Motors. From the Democrats' POV, of course, McCain's image implosion was a marketing triumph. And GM will get a portion of that mega-bucks federal bailout even if it never sells another Hummer, which most of us hope it doesn't. Other notable blunders include an anti-shark device that attracted sharks; an ID protection device that failed to secure the identity of the company's CEO; and McDonald's efforts to compare Ray Kroc to Martin Luther King Jr. For the freakiest ads of the past year, however, keep watching this space (that's AdFreak, Einstein) and get ready to vote when our annual wrapup begins next week.
—Posted by David Gianatasio
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Lucky Charms Does Giant Bong Hit, Unleashes Auto-Tune Leprechaun
- Does the American Shopping Mall Have a Second Life?
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Creak, Crack, Crunch. Local Chiropractor's Goofy Ad Is Painful to Watch
- Fitness Company's Video Goes Viral Thanks to Dude Taking a Dump in the Background
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.