Oreo Gets Dunked by One of the Best Twitter Replies Ever Sneaking snacks into a movie theater? Not cool, cookie
Oh, it's ON. In one of the best brand-on-brand tweets ever, cinema chain AMC Theatres on Tuesday expressed its displeasure with Oreo after the Nabisco brand asked fans if they ever sneak cookies into a movie. "NOT COOL, COOKIE" admonished @AMCTheatres, which sparked an impressive 200-plus retweets. Credit for the post goes to Shane Adams, interactive marketing manager for AMC. While it's unlikely that this will spark any sort of long-term rivalry, it's still nice to see a company having some fun with another brand in the vein of Taco Bell and Old Spice. It's also a telling example of why @AMCTheatres has 136,000 Twitter followers, compared to Oreo's 53,000. Where are those 28 million Facebook fans to defend you now, Oreo? Hat tip to Deb Ng for sharing on Facebook.
UPDATE: Oreo has responded with the tweet below, prompting another tweet from AMC, below that. Someone will be crying over spilled milk before this is over.
UPDATE: Shane Adams, author of the @AMCTheatres tweets, sums up his busy day in a thoughtful blog post, with advice for other social media managers. His point? This wasn't just about being clever.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Ad of the Day: DirecTV
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.