Oops! WGN Anchor Refers to Chicago's Christkindlmarket as 'Kristallnacht' Viewers stunned by mention of Nazi riot
It's good to know that people still say really dumb things out loud and not just on Twitter. On Sunday night, WGN-TV anchor Robert Jordan apparently made a spectacular flub when he referred to Christkindlmarket, Chicago's German holiday market, as "Kristallnacht." The latter was the 1938 Nazi riot that destroyed thousands of Jewish businesses and synagogues. Several tweets quickly popped up from astute viewers, with one noting: "Tell me someone else heard that. Or actually don't." I learned about it from a friend on Facebook, who said she wasn't paying close attention until her ears perked up at the unintentional reference to one of history's most notorious pogroms. She wrote: "I think he was trying to say that the weather was nice today for the Christkindlmarket, probably some banter on our unseasonably warm weather. You could tell he was struggling to come up with the correct name, and then, doh!" Of course, it was a honest mistake, one that shouldn't require any apology or (further) public shaming. Plus, who can hold a grudge against a guy who has these kinds of moves off camera?
UPDATE: Here's WGN's response.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- Nearly Half of Second-Gen Hispanics Feel Like Ads Don't Target Them
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
- How BBH Perfected the Twist Ending for the Year's Best Beverage Ad
- The Story Behind 'This Is Water,' the Inspiring Video People Can't Stop Watching
- Mattress Ads Wake Up to Human Sexuality
- Does the American Shopping Mall Have a Second Life?
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.