Old Mentos Ad With Horse-Men Playing Basketball Is Weirdest Ever SB Nation 'finds' strange overseas spot
Whoa, that's one wacky game of horse! Some naysayers are doubting SB Nation's contention that the clip below of dudes playing basketball in equine masks is really a "found" Mentos ad from 1992 that "only aired in Sweden and Venezuela" and was discovered on an old videotape of a Swedish Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode. Well, I can personally vouch for its veracity, having seen it numerous times back in the day. I was living in Sweden at the time. Or maybe it was Venezuela. Anyway, there's nothing more "real" than a guy in a horsey-head hanging from the rim with one hand while holding up a tube of Freshmakers in the other. It's like something you'd see after sucking on a spiked sugar cube, or downing half a dozen rolls of Mentos in less than five minutes. Which is how I keep myself awake and working after 4 p.m. most days. Via Laughing Squid.
UPDATE: Keep in mind that 2012 is The Year of the Horse Head Mask, perhaps casting further doubt on whether this is indeed a real vintage commercial.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Nikola Tesla Takes Down Silicon Valley VCs, but Will It Get Him a Statue?
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.