Old Mentos Ad With Horse-Men Playing Basketball Is Weirdest Ever SB Nation 'finds' strange overseas spot
Whoa, that's one wacky game of horse! Some naysayers are doubting SB Nation's contention that the clip below of dudes playing basketball in equine masks is really a "found" Mentos ad from 1992 that "only aired in Sweden and Venezuela" and was discovered on an old videotape of a Swedish Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode. Well, I can personally vouch for its veracity, having seen it numerous times back in the day. I was living in Sweden at the time. Or maybe it was Venezuela. Anyway, there's nothing more "real" than a guy in a horsey-head hanging from the rim with one hand while holding up a tube of Freshmakers in the other. It's like something you'd see after sucking on a spiked sugar cube, or downing half a dozen rolls of Mentos in less than five minutes. Which is how I keep myself awake and working after 4 p.m. most days. Via Laughing Squid.
UPDATE: Keep in mind that 2012 is The Year of the Horse Head Mask, perhaps casting further doubt on whether this is indeed a real vintage commercial.
- Mozilla Moves Ahead With Do Not Track Browser
- Baseball Legend Vin Scully Pinch Hits on Twitter
- Twitter Snags Local Social Discovery Firm Spindle
- Brands Can Use Images in Facebook Comments, Too
- Elle's Robbie Myers on Women's Magazines and Serious Journalism
- 'Dumb Ways to Die' Train Keeps Rolling, as It Wins Grand Prix in Radio
- Bud Light Moves to BBDO
- Senators Press FCC to Move On Sports Blackout Issue
- Maxipad Brand Goes for Blood in Brilliant Reply to Facebook Rant
- Draftfcb and Pereira & O'Dell Each Win a Grand Prix in Cyber Category
- TBWA\Media Arts Lab Earns Press Grand Prix for Apple's iPad Mini Ads
- Millennial Guys Are Turning to Makeup
- Annie Leibovitz Revisits Her Famous Photo of John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- Conan O'Brien to Advertisers: You Disgust Me, but I Will Take Your Money
- Turner Wraps Upfront Business; Broadcast Still in Motion
- Apple Finds Its Footing Again With Evocative Film About Third-Party iOS Apps
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.