Old Mentos Ad With Horse-Men Playing Basketball Is Weirdest Ever SB Nation 'finds' strange overseas spot
Whoa, that's one wacky game of horse! Some naysayers are doubting SB Nation's contention that the clip below of dudes playing basketball in equine masks is really a "found" Mentos ad from 1992 that "only aired in Sweden and Venezuela" and was discovered on an old videotape of a Swedish Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode. Well, I can personally vouch for its veracity, having seen it numerous times back in the day. I was living in Sweden at the time. Or maybe it was Venezuela. Anyway, there's nothing more "real" than a guy in a horsey-head hanging from the rim with one hand while holding up a tube of Freshmakers in the other. It's like something you'd see after sucking on a spiked sugar cube, or downing half a dozen rolls of Mentos in less than five minutes. Which is how I keep myself awake and working after 4 p.m. most days. Via Laughing Squid.
UPDATE: Keep in mind that 2012 is The Year of the Horse Head Mask, perhaps casting further doubt on whether this is indeed a real vintage commercial.
- Kawasaki And 'Lone Ranger' Ride Together in Multifaceted Campaign
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.