Old Mentos Ad With Horse-Men Playing Basketball Is Weirdest Ever SB Nation 'finds' strange overseas spot
Whoa, that's one wacky game of horse! Some naysayers are doubting SB Nation's contention that the clip below of dudes playing basketball in equine masks is really a "found" Mentos ad from 1992 that "only aired in Sweden and Venezuela" and was discovered on an old videotape of a Swedish Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode. Well, I can personally vouch for its veracity, having seen it numerous times back in the day. I was living in Sweden at the time. Or maybe it was Venezuela. Anyway, there's nothing more "real" than a guy in a horsey-head hanging from the rim with one hand while holding up a tube of Freshmakers in the other. It's like something you'd see after sucking on a spiked sugar cube, or downing half a dozen rolls of Mentos in less than five minutes. Which is how I keep myself awake and working after 4 p.m. most days. Via Laughing Squid.
UPDATE: Keep in mind that 2012 is The Year of the Horse Head Mask, perhaps casting further doubt on whether this is indeed a real vintage commercial.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Microsoft Hammers Google in Leaked Parody of a Chrome Ad
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- How BBH Perfected the Twist Ending for the Year's Best Beverage Ad
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.