Nando's Ad With Mugabe, Dead Dictators Pulled in Zimbabwe Chain cites threat to workers there
strongman funnyman Robert Mugabe cavorts with other reviled world leaders—Mao, Saddam, Gaddafi, Idi Amin, P.W. Botha—in this amusing spot from the Nando's fast-food chain in South Africa. The commercial closes by cheekily noting that "at this time of year, no one should have to eat alone," as Mugabe sits glumly at an otherwise empty banquet table. All the other dictators shown here are, of course, now dead. Boo hoo! Nando's has pulled the ad in Zimbabwe, citing threats made against local workers by militants affiliated with Mugabe's ZANU-PF party. Naturally, that's generated global media coverage the spot would never have garnered on its own, and made it a viral hit with 600,000-plus YouTube views so far. Look for Mugabe and his ilk to grace ads of all sorts moving forward. The evil-leader theme has long been a marketing staple, and these types of campaigns are sure to keep coming … and coming.
- ESPN's Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Digital Dignitaries Debate Display's Death
- Cramer-Krasselt Beats the Odds to Keep Porsche
- Mayer Talks Tumblr Plans, Unveils New Flickr
- Spotify Launches Music Charts
- NBC Makes Bet on Fake Reality
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
- Can the Empire State Building Brand Its View?
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- Nutella Thanks Its Biggest Fan, Founder of World Nutella Day, by Sending Her a Cease-and-Desist
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Fast Chat: Jann Wenner
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Advertising Student Ships His Pants to Kmart's Agency, Lands Internship
- Pinterest Adds Advertiser-Friendly Features
- WPP Created One Big Digital Shop From 8 Smaller Ones
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.