Meet the Oddball Characters From Mother's New Burger King Campaign John the Manager gets some friends
Mother yesterday was named lead creative agency on Burger King. Today, the shop released some new ads for the fast-food chain—a :30 and two :15s pushing breakfast items. Long gone are the days when the King would suggestively wake up in bed next to you. But that doesn't mean Mother's campaign will be oddball-free. "Set within the walls of the Burger King home, its restaurant, viewers learn about the new breakfast items while meeting a soon-to-be recurring cast of characters joining the familiar cast of employees including affable patriarch of the Burger King family John the Manager," the agency tells us. John the Manager, of course, appeared in Mother's BK ads last year, including the David Beckham one. We only get a glimpse of the new characters here, but they appear to include a Muppet, a cheerleader mom, a cowboy, a security guard, a park ranger (who is carrying a
deer baby kangaroo and has a parrot on her shoulder) and—hiding in the back—an astronaut. There is no Internet hacker. The spots are less eccentric than the cast would indicate, though—in fact, they're borderline corny. But we'll have to see more work to really get the tone. These first spots push two items in particular: Arabica coffee for 25 cents and the Gouda Bacon Sandwich. See the :15s after the jump.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Teenage Boys Are Suddenly Pregnant in Chicago's Striking PSA Campaign
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.