McDonald's Hmong Billboard in St. Paul Gets Lost in Translation Native speakers question the copy
Always on the lookout for fresh arteries to clog, McDonald's has begun advertising in Hmong on billboards in St. Paul, Minn., which has more Hmong people—tens of thousands—than any other U.S. city. But the effort backfired, as native speakers are complaining that McDonald's dished up unhealthy portions of the Asian dialect. One message, via ad agency Arnold, reads, "Yuavtxhawbpabraukojsawv yuavntxivzograukoj mus," which translates roughly to "Coffee gets you up, breakfast gets you going." Thai Lee, a local doctor, tells the St. Paul Pioneer Press that the text is "missing key breaks in the language" and "as it stands right now, it doesn't make sense at all." He also gets in this zinger: "Chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and obesity are already a major health concern in the Hmong community. Most of this is attributed to the changing Westernized eating behaviors that Hmong people have adapted to." Is any copy on a McDonald's ad, except perhaps pricing, even necessary? Simply plastering the town with 10-foot-high Big Macs, fries and Golden Arches should do nicely. "Mmmmmm" is the universal language.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- Obscure Direct Response Brands Dominate Facebook Chatter
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- Ad of the Day: Volkswagen
- Mattress Ads Wake Up to Human Sexuality
- H&M Winning Raves for Having a Normal-Looking Woman Model Its Beachwear
- Ad of the Day: Samsung
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.