Love, Hate, Triumph and Loss: The Whole Creative Process in One Great Web Comic Matthew Inman's guide to inspiration
You might not come across a more painfully hilarious description of the creative process as the one brilliantly set forth in this lengthy web comic from The Oatmeal. That's just a brief excerpt above—the whole thing is wonderful. In it, the artist, Matthew Inman, meditates on where ideas come from; the fickle nature of inspiration; the role other people's feedback plays in your own generation of concepts; and how trolls on the Internet can destroy your moxie. The lessons for ad creatives are mixed. On the one hand, being forced to come up with clever ideas on a schedule seems ridiculous and perhaps impossible. On the other hand, being given a framework to start from—a brief, or a marketing problem to solve—seems a whole lot easier than conjuring stuff out of thin air. Via Iain Tait.
- Kawasaki And 'Lone Ranger' Ride Together in Multifaceted Campaign
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
- Ads for Playboy Fragrances Have Plenty of Happy Endings, and a Few Weird Ones Too
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.