Humans Celebrate Arrival of McDonald's Chicken Asteroid From Outer Space A friendly interloper for a change
Whatever propaganda McDonald's Canada is spewing about the origins of the chain's food, McDonald's U.K. knows the real truth—it's cooked up on another planet and hurled Earthward, where humans embrace it with otherworldly fervor. At least, that's the story line in this wonderfully illustrated spot from Leo Burnett in London (and Blink directing duo Major Briggs) for new Chicken McBites, in which a McBite asteroid lands on Earth and is feted by the townspeople of a lucky burg.
Blink explains: "The spot tells the deliciously dramatic story of a crispy bite of chicken that crash-lands in a blue ballpoint world and becomes the next big thing, much to the delight of its citizens. … Major Briggs have taken the average person's napkin doodle up a few notches, adding a dash of whimsy and a mighty plot to make an intricately drawn universe that is brimming with clever details."
A timely spot it is, too. The menacing asteroid Apophis, some 886 feet across, is doing a flyby of Earth today. Apophis won't hit our planet this year, but scientists haven't ruled out a possible civilization-ending impact from it a few decades hence. If only it were made of chicken.
- The Guardian to Consolidate Web Properties Under One Domain
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Jell-O Hijacks Twitter's Profane #FML Hashtag, Changes It to Mean 'Fun My Life'
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Cadillac Nears Decision in Creative Review
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.