HP crowdsources its headless ad campaign
Few social-media marketing ideas are as hackneyed as inviting people to upload their own commercials. But it seems like a good fit for Hewlett-Packard with the new "You on You" campaign. The computer maker is inviting the public to make homemade versions of the "Personal Again" HP ads that feature celebrities (their faces hidden) talking about their digital lives. The effort, aimed at promoting the HP Artist Edition Notebook, is about halfway through its life span, and some of the submitted work has been pretty impressive. Above is one of my favorites. (How can you not like a gymnast who moonlights as a zombie slayer?) The reason I like this campaign more than most of its kind is because the original ad concept seems custom-made for a crowdsourcing project like this (versus, say, asking people to make up their own "Priceless" scenarios for MasterCard). Even without the slick digital production, many of the HP submissions still convey the charming, hyper-personalized feel of the originals. If you think your torso and editing skills are up to the challenge (and you wouldn't mind winning up to $40,000 in cash), you've got until Sunday to enter.
—Posted by David Griner
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Ads for Playboy Fragrances Have Plenty of Happy Endings, and a Few Weird Ones Too
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.