Goodby revels in the clichés for Aussie bank
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners is breaking a big new campaign in Australia for Commonwealth Bank, and they’ve really managed to capture the essence of the country. You’ve got a Crocodile Dundee guy who drives through the desert alongside a bunch of hopped-up giant koalas, then hurls a boomerang into the starry heavens, letting out a great Aussie scream. Uploaded to YouTube, the ad was savaged by Australian viewers—until they realized it was a hoax. In the extended version of the spot, the scene shifts to a conference room at the “American ad agency” that created the cliché-filled piece of tripe—and just presented it to the client. The campaign will continue in a mockumentary style, with ads offering background about the agency, including the copywriter/art director team of Luke and Luke. Goodby will get crap for navel-gazing here, but for some Australians, perhaps an anti-American theme isn’t the worst idea.
—Posted by Tim Nudd
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Goodby, Silverstein Brings the Funny for YouTube's First-Ever Comedy Week
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Microsoft Hammers Google in Leaked Parody of a Chrome Ad
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- How BBH Perfected the Twist Ending for the Year's Best Beverage Ad
- How AT&T Got Kids to Make Some of the Year's Best Ads
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.