FREAKIEST ADVERTISING MOMENT OF 2007: Dexter’s viral defeats Pioneer for the title
After two weeks of brutal competition, the viral campaign for the Showtime program Dexter, which encouraged you to send terrifying videos to friends suggesting they were about to be offed by a serial killer, has won AdFreak’s Freakiest Ad Moment of 2007 contest. Pioneer’s laughing eyeballs put up a good fight but are no longer laughing, as Dexter prevails with about 55 percent of the final vote. Kudos also go to Canada’s Lost Jaw guy and Skittles’ milked man for making impressive runs to the Final Four, despite their rather obvious physiological handicaps. (See the final bracket here.) We believe that the British digital ad agency Ralph created the Dexter viral, so we’ll get a nice champions’ package together for them. Failing that, we may just send them a threatening e-mail. Thanks to all of you for voting. And keep the freaky ads coming.
—Posted by Tim Nudd
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- Obscure Direct Response Brands Dominate Facebook Chatter
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
- He Shoots, He Scores: David Beckham's 10 Most-Viral Commercials
- British Advertising Hits New Low With Commercial Starring Talking Butt Crack
- Fitness Company's Video Goes Viral Thanks to Dude Taking a Dump in the Background
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.