Is Fancy Feast spot the 'WASPiest' ad ever?
Some might call it romantic. Others might call it cloying. But my first thought on the new Fancy Feast ad was the same as that of YouTube commenter vwong86: "This is the WASPiest commercial ever." The concept is fine enough: Guy creates a special surprise for his cat-loving girlfriend. But did the whole setup really have to revel (sans irony) in the world's most stereotypically upper-class suburban setting? The 60-second version below only gives you a taste of what I'm talking about. The 160-second "extended cut" practically feels like a housing association's welcome video for living the Hamptons. Where I come from, cats only get their own room for one reason: because they won't stop pissing everywhere. UPDATE: Commenters note that "Dad" sure looks a lot like Bruce "Tron" Boxleitner. I guess paying work is paying work.
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- YouTube CEO is Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Ad of the Day: DirecTV
- Ad of the Day: Nike
- 67% of Smartphone Owners Would Rather See Ads Than Pay for Premium Content
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.