Coors Light is asked not to laugh at Toronto
It doesn't take much to get an ad pulled in Canada. Coors Light billboards like the one shown here, featuring harmless regional Canadian humor, have been deemed offensive to people in Toronto, and the brewer has now axed the campaign. The ads had been running out west in British Columbia, where jokes about Toronto abound—though putting them in ads is beyond the pale. Says one B.C. resident: "We hear stuff about Toronto people all the time, but we couldn't believe anyone would put it on a billboard." Adam Moffat, a rep at the brewer, says the campaign was based on "insight gleaned from people in the west," but that a handful of people e-mailed to complain, causing him to quickly cave. "Sometimes we get it wrong," he says. "This is one instance where we misfired, and we realized that after seeing people's reaction here in Toronto."
—Posted by Tim Nudd
- Kawasaki And 'Lone Ranger' Ride Together in Multifaceted Campaign
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Puma's Dance Dictionary Will Leave You at a Loss for Words
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Droga5 Gives Qantas Fliers Paperbacks That Last Just as Long as the Flight
- Introducing Beardvertising: Tiny Billboards That Clip on to Your Beard
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.