Chipotle's Famous Willie Nelson Spot Getting a Run on TV Stop-motion masterpiece will air on Sunday's Grammys
It's fitting that Chipotle's stirring two-minute "Back to the Start" film—released last summer on the Internet and in theaters, supporting sustainable farming practices—will make its national TV debut during this Sunday's Grammy Awards telecast on CBS. After all, "what makes the spot truly transcendent is the music," noted my colleague Tim Nudd in ranking the clip second on Adweek's list of the best commercials of 2011. Coldplay's "The Scientist," sung here with resonant intensity by Willie Nelson, sports lines amazingly attuned to the subject matter: "Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart." The soundtrack adds immeasurable power and depth to the stop-motion tale (crafted by Chipotle, CAA and Nexus director Johnny Kelly) of a farmer who eschews industrial methods and releases his animals to roam and graze. Nelson's performance is achingly honest as he acknowledges by nuance and inflection the missteps of the past while looking ahead to a brighter future that's by no means assured. It's an affecting and memorable performance, one that might well upstage the selections presented on the actual broadcast.
- Embattled P&G CEO Out, Replaced by Predecessor
- The Guardian to Consolidate Web Properties Under One Domain
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- NSA Media Creates Alliance With Wishabi
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Atlanta's Most Infamous Stripper Pimps Charity Advertising Contest
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Jell-O Hijacks Twitter's Profane #FML Hashtag, Changes It to Mean 'Fun My Life'
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- Justin Bieber Is Sad About a Lot of Things, but Probably Not the Teen Employment Rate
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.