Aussie ad shames guys for problems in bed
It takes a lot to offend Australians, but targeting the premature ejaculators among them has done the trick. The country's Advertising Standards Bureau received several complaints about the Advanced Medical Institute's "bedroom police" ad, above, which shows cops breaking into a couple's bedroom and threatening to issue a speeding ticket to the guy, who is told he will be let off with a warning if he calls AMI for help with his problem. (This is the same advertiser that did those "Bonk longer" billboards.) One viewer complained about the bedroom ad: "Essentially [the ad is saying] you are not a real man unless you can last hours and hours and hours having sexual intercourse, and your relationship is not a real relationship unless you are having hours and hours and hours of sexual intercourse. Do we have to hear about this?" The ad has been ruled offensive to men and roundly denounced for attempting to shame sufferers of a legitimate medical condition. And rightfully so. The Australian medical community should respect social boundaries and return to the quiet dignity of using graphic surgical footage to keep people from smoking.
—Posted by David Kiefaber
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Nikola Tesla Takes Down Silicon Valley VCs, but Will It Get Him a Statue?
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.