Are you ready for some baseball?
With pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training today, we thought we’d mark the occasion by compiling some baseball links that may or may not have anything to do with advertising. You probably saw the Super Bowl TV spot advertising the World Baseball Classic, but here it is again. (WBC) • Did you know official World Baseball Classic jerseys are available for the low, low price of $234.99? (Shop MLB) • Despite all its troubles, MLB remains a remarkably resilient brand. (New York Sun) • Here’s an update on MLB’s struggles to renew its TV-rights deals. (Brandweek) • The MLB 2K6 videogame sounds cool, if you’re into that sort of thing. (TotalPlayStation) • How a French blogger managed to evade MBL Blogs censors. (Deadspin) • A jury rules that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim did not breach a contract with the city of Anaheim when it changed its name. (Associated Press) • Simply a great headline: “MLB prepares to cut off nose in War on Face.” (Field of Schemes) • And following George Steinbrenner’s lead, new Florida Marlins manager Joe Girardi takes a courageous stand against facial hair. (Associated Press) UPDATE: In the comments, the ever-vigilant Bob Shiffrar rightly points out that I should include Soxaholix in this roundup. They even have a new cartoon up about the King.
—Posted by Tim Nudd
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- CBS Picks Up Bad Teacher
- Dish Network's Search for a Digital Agency Down to Finalists
- Liberal Groups Pressure Mayer to Withdraw From FWD.us
- Arrested Development Outbuzzing House of Cards
- Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women Includes Tech, Media Titans
- The IAB and Mozilla Clash—in Person
- Sen. John Cornyn Joins the Fight Against Patent Trolls With New Bill
- Geico Makes the Perfect Ad for Hump Day
- Tablets Overtake Smartphones as the Big Shopping Device
- The New York Times Reinvents the Boring Banner Ad
- Samsung Presents Advertising's Most Idiotically Primitive Husband Ever
- Time.com Is on a Hiring Spree
- PETA's Incredibly Lifelike CGI Ape Begs You Never to Use Real Ones in Ads Again
- Pinterest Plays Coy on Ads, but Expect Commerce to Lead
- Ad of the Day: Nike
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.