Androgynous Model Goes Topless for Toyota Stav Strashko struts his stuff
Broadcast censors would have a tough time with this one: Should a man be allowed to go topless in a TV commercial if he looks pretty convincingly like a woman? Stav Strashko, 19, an androgynous male model born in the Ukraine and raised in Israel, does just that in this Toyota spot—strutting in bikini bottoms before turning around to show his feminine face and male chest. The tagline translates to, "Not trendy, not casual, not for everyone," according to Copyranter. "I realized that I was androgynous when I began to model," Strashko said in a recent interview. "All the stylists put women's clothes on me, and then it struck me that I really look like a woman. … I get mistaken for a girl all the time, and I'm used to it now. Usually when people talk to me they soon realize I'm a boy, but sometimes people just keep treating me as a girl, not realizing who I really am. I believe that the mind sees what it wants." The Toyota spot, which has gotten more than half a million YouTube views since Sunday, is reportedly airing in Japan. Androgynous models have done plenty of advertising work before, though it often seems gimmicky like this—as when the male androgynous model Andrej Pejić demonstrated the effects of a retail chain's push-up bras.
- FTC May Not Be Done With Google Yet
- IPG Shareholders Reject 2 Proposals, Including Gender and Race Reporting
- What If Arrested Development Were Coming Back on YouTube?
- Are You Young and Male? Discovery Says This TestTube's for You
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Top Digital Publishers Praise Yahoo's Tumblr Deal
- How J.Lo Is Becoming A Wireless Brand
- Arnold Wins Avocados From Mexico
- Having Shipped Its Pants, Kmart Now Offers You 'Big Gas Savings'
- Ad of the Day: VisitEngland
- And the 2013 Grand Effie Goes to ...
- Group of Web Video Companies Band Together to Ensure Ads Are Viewable
- Twitter's TV Ad Targeting Uses 'Video Fingerprinting'
- How KitchenAid Gave Us the World’s Coolest Mixer
- Lego Builds Awesome Life-Size Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Its Largest Model Ever
- Y&R Asks You to Define What #AdvertisingIs
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.