Admiral Ackbar = 'too perfect' for Ole Miss?
The beginning of the college-football season gave fans plenty to watch this weekend, but much of the Tuesday-morning quarterbacking seems to be about ESPN's commercial featuring Ole Miss and Admiral Ackbar. The ad, shown below, recaps a months-long push by students who want the tentacle-chinned, trap-foiling Ackbar from Star Wars to be the school's new mascot. (He would replace a rebel leader of a different sort, the recently retired Colonel Reb.) The effort seems to have lost steam since March, but it has surely gotten a new adrenaline boost from the national exposure on ESPN. And while Dean of Students Sparky Reardon makes it sound like this is a dark time for the Rebel Alliance, it's worth pointing out that he's not being entirely forthcoming. Here's the full statement he's quoting from: "Lucasfilm is flattered that our Star Wars fans at the University of Mississippi are considering electing Admiral Ackbar as their mascot. The last time we checked in with Admiral Ackbar he was leading the Rebel Alliance Fleet on a critical mission, so it will be difficult for him to show up for the games!" Hat tip to Kammie Avant.
- Would Yahoo or Facebook Make a Better Tumblr Parent?
- Gevalia Aims for a Buzzy Social Partying Weekend
- Meet the Sleepy's Creative Finalists
- Modest Buzz for NewFront Content Based on Social Sharing Data
- Former Publicis COO Richard Pinder on Reimagining Global Networks
- Yahoo Adding Tweets to Homepage
- Embattled Abercrombie CEO Backpedals on Exclusionary Comments
- NBCUniversal Expands Licensing Deal With Amazon
- YouTube Star Tobuscus Forced Into Making Insane Musical Ad for Hot Pockets
- California Winery's Ads Pair the Product With Sex, Drugs and More Sex
- Obscure Direct Response Brands Dominate Facebook Chatter
- Dumb Ways to Die Is Now a Video Game for the iPhone and iPad
- He Shoots, He Scores: David Beckham's 10 Most-Viral Commercials
- Yahoo in Talks to Acquire Tumblr
- Meet the Most Suspect Publishers on the Web
- Apple's 'Get a Mac,' the Complete Campaign
AdFreak is your daily blog of the best and worst of creativity in advertising, media, marketing and design. Follow us as we celebrate (and skewer) the latest, greatest, quirkiest and freakiest commercials, promos, trailers, posters, billboards, logos and package designs around. Edited by Adweek's Tim Nudd. Updated every weekday, with a weekly recap on Saturdays.